Okay, so that prose was a trifle purple--not to be confused with a delicious purple trifle--and information security is not, strictly speaking, my first love.
But hopefully you get the point: I was ready to up my game in the fight against digital malfeasance after three fun years focused on the marketing of marketing software to marketers (three highly successful years, I might add, because the marketing software, Monetate, was clearly headed for best of breed from day one and can now be found on major websites from PETCO to QVC).
There were a number of happy congruencies in this latest development. My marketing skills had been honed, my marketing experience broadened, just in time to sell a fresh message of cybersecurity awareness to a deeply digital world. That message goes like this: "The bad guys are badder than ever, better funded, more organized, but there are simple steps we can all take to make cyberspace a lot safer tomorrow than it is today."
For me, this was just the right time to run into ESET, a Slovakian company with a growing presence in North America and a strong commitment to the public good, as evidenced by a pioneering community initiative called Securing Our eCity. I spend part of my time working on this initiative and the rest on research and publication, in all its forms, including blogging, tweeting, and speaking. Here are just a few of my efforts so far:
- On Cybersecurity in the Workplace for Excelsior College
- On Information Security Policies for SMBs and several more webcasts
- On Becoming a Security Detective by Dark Reading and InformationWeek
- On Cyber Monday threats in SC Magazine
- On Attackers Gearing Up for Cyber Monday With Scams, Deals by eWeek
- On Online anonymity hard to achieve but not impossible by ZDNet Asia
- On Apple Shoots the Messenger by PC World
- Video blog on Search Poisoning of McCartney and Gaddafi
- Blog post on Malware Delivery via Canada Post
- Cybercrime column on Freezing assets and turning up the heat
- Many more security blog posts
- Various articles ESET Global Threat Report